Looking back at our holiday, there were a number of ways technology was used to create a better vacation.
- Wiki. We travelled with another family and used a wiki to plan out the details. While I basically did all the editing, everyone viewed it many times prior to the trip and we all sat down and used it to finalize things. When travelling with another family, it was nice to have many things pre-planned.
- Flickr. Friends and family members loved being able to keep up with things along the way. In addition, it enabled me to deal with all the pictures in smaller chunks rather than doing it all after the fact. I also found a great little bookmarklet that easily adds a geotag to your photos. I also incorporated a little tip found at photojojo.com that we had a lot of fun with.
- Youtube. I was even able to create a short video and upload it to youtube.
- Blog. Providing short updates rather than emailing, allowed me to describe some of the details of our trip.
- Geocaching. Had the opportunity to do a few geocaches which led us to some interesting places we may not have found otherwise…Ousell Falls being one.
- Cellphones and text messaging. We needed to text message each other throughout the trip as the US charges $1 a minute for cellphone use.
I’ll definitely use these again for future vacations.